BEGINNER’S GUIDE TO THE GYM
Ever walked into a gym and thought… what am I doing here? You made the commitment to go, now what’s stopping you from going inside?
Evolution Fitness Regina is a judgment free environment. We welcome all shapes, sizes and ages. We also welcome your questions. Below are a few tips to get you started but always feel comfortable to approach any of our Personal Trainers, Group Exercise Instructors or our Member Services Team.
When you join Evolution Fitness Regina you will receive a tour of our club, the tour will include:
- Locker rooms
- Cardio area
- Weights Area
- Evolution Group Exercise Studios
- Other facilities and services such as steam rooms
- Racquetball/handball courts
- Advanced circuit training
Entering the Club:
- You will need to swipe/scan your membership card upon entrance; it’s a good idea to have this ready especially in peak times as there will be a lot of people entering the club at once.
- Peak times are typically 6am – 9am, 12pm – 1.30pm, and 5pm – 8pm.
What to Wear?
- Comfortable lightweight clothing is important. As you burn off the calories your body temperature will increase and clothing that will allow some heat to escape is ideal.
- Comfortable, well fitting, fully enclosed footwear is essential. Most types of sports shoes will be appropriate – for safety reasons there are no sandals, flip flop, clogs etc. allowed.
To Bring with You:
- As in most gyms a personal towel is necessary.
- We provide equipment cleaning towels and spray. Always be sure to wipe down all equipment after each use.
- A water/sports bottle will ensure you can remain hydrated during your workout. There are fountains located in the facility to refill your sports bottle.
- A spare set of clothes, towel and shower shoes if you’re showering or utilizing the steam room at our health club.
- A lock for your locker – lockers do not have overnight status. Please always collect your belongings at the end of each workout. Gym bags etc. are not allowed on the gym floor.
- A set of Cardio Head Phones to take advantage of the plasma screens on all of our cardio equipment.
Cardio Equipment (e.g. treadmill, elliptical, bikes etc.):
- Most pieces of cardio equipment have a quick start option to make it easier to get started. Simply get on your chosen piece of equipment, start the motion then press the quick start button. From this point you can adjust resistance and speed as required.
- Before getting on a treadmill ensure the belt is not in motion, it can make for a painful first experience if you get on a moving treadmill without noticing. If the belt is moving hit the stop button and then begin.
- Wipe down all cardio equipment after use-towel and spray stations are located throughout the facility.
Resistance Equipment (weights):
- Don’t try to lift or push too much in your first session. This is a common mistake by beginners and you want to make sure that you can move the next day! You can increase the weights as you become more familiar with your body’s capabilities.
- Always replace weights back onto their stands when finished.
- Terminology you may hear:
- Rep: Short for repetitions. One full movement on a piece of equipment.
- Set: A collection of reps equals one set
EGX (Group Exercise) Class Schedules
- EGX Class Schedules are available online or at our Member Services Desk.
- Let the instructor(s) know you are new so they can offer some good advice before the class or as it progresses.
- If you feel a little uncoordinated at your first class, then welcome to the club! Don’t expect to pick up all the moves first time.
- Classes will follow a similar routine for a few weeks so you can master the moves. Over time you will understand the basics and follow the class with ease.
- Try a number of classes to see where you get the most benefit and also what you most enjoy!
Enjoy your journey to a healthier you!