What is it?
Center and collect yourself with yoga. During this beginner-level 60-minute mind-body workout, you’ll focus on structural alignment and proper breathing techniques. Yoga will improve your balance, flexibility, and core strength. Come stretch your body, clear your mind, and most importantly…BREATHE!
What will I do?
Our yoga classes key in on proper breathing techniques and have a three-part format. The first 10 minutes will allow you to centre yourself before moving into asanas (yoga poses). When working through the asanas, you’ll be able to focus in on the day’s theme which could include back care, hip openers, shoulder release, and others. Finally, you’ll spend the last 10 minutes relaxing your body.
Is it for me?
Yoga is for everyone! It’s truly a class that removes barriers of age, gender, and fitness levels or background. The nature of the program makes it easy for everyone to achieve success, improve techniques over time, and gain the relaxed feeling we all crave. Yoga is perfect for:
- New exercisers, because the program makes it easy to work at your own pace
- The “fit-it-in-where-you-can” exerciser, because yoga is an easy way to increase your strength and flexibility, and to relax…all within one hour
- Maintaining flexibility and as a complement to your regular cardio or strength training.
- Men and women of all ages and fitness levels that want to enjoy the mental benefits of a mind-body discipline
How often should I do it?
Yoga can be done as often as you like! How you feel is the best gauge of your body’s recovery needs.
Remember that it’s only your first time once. After attending a few times, you’ll become much more comfortable with the flow of the class and the poses involved. Here are some tips to ensure your success:
- Wear comfortable workout clothing that moves well with your body.
- Bring a yoga mat. There are exercise mats available at our facilities, however, they are not ideal for traditional yoga.
- Arrive 5 minutes before class and introduce yourself to the instructor if you feel a need to make them aware of any limitations. The instructor will answer any questions you may have to help put you at ease.
- Stand close to the center of the room so you can see the instructor clearly. It is not necessary to be at the front and having a couple of other participants in front of you can help provide visual information about the movements.
- Your instructor will coach you, including movement and pose options, to ensure your success.
- Don’t judge your success based on the person beside you. Everybody is different!
- Speak with the instructor at the end of class to ask questions and to check in about your experience.
How will I feel?
During and after class you will have a calm, spacious, clear mind! Our yoga class moves at a slower pace than other group classes at Evolution Fitness. It’s important to understand that yoga is a journey to improved physical and emotional well-being. Don’t rush your progress!
During class, you’ll feel more aware of your body and breath. Sometimes movements and postures may feel different or awkward, but over time you’ll become more comfortable and feel more successful.
Talk to the instructor after class to let them know how you feel and if anything felt particularly challenging for you. Keep in mind that you may be sore afterward. Your body is adjusting to the new demands on your muscles. This is perfectly normal!